• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water tab and salt questions

SJBrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Currently I use municipal water and add half a campden tablet.

I have never adjusted water in the past but would like to give it a try on my next BIAB brew.

In the "water tab", I have selected Distilled Water as my profile (not going to use municipal water) but I am lost on the "Match a target profile". Since I am brewing a M?rzen, I am having a difficult time trying to see which profile matches best. It would be great to see a future version of BS3 suggest (based on style) a water profile. Which profile best fits this style?

I also see that with this version, that you can exclude gypsum if desired as a water agent. Why would I want to do that?

Cheers!

There is actually an 'add-on' for water which is water target by style.  This may get you what you want. 

Aside from that, you can look to target the water based upon the color and desired flavor balance.  For a Marzen, I would look at a yellow balanced or amber balanced water profile.  Your flavor preferences may be more towards the malty profiles of the same.

Back