• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

another instance running loss of data but additional quirk

Ilovebeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I started up BS3 and got the message about another instance of BS running, potential data loss, but continue if it shut down improperly. There was no icon saying BS was running, so I went to Task Manager and it showed BS. I forced shutdown (maybe a mistake) and then started BS, came up with about 12 recipes missing. Thru Help, found Recipe Archive but only about half were there, which I was able to restore. So I then went to my laptop which I had been using up until about a year ago, started BS, and got the same message. This seemed a bit too cosmic to me, but I went to the archive on that one and it was empty. I did find a few of the missing recipes in My Recipes on the older machine that I was able to copy to the new one, but still lost 3.
So: 1) Was this pure coincidence that both machines had the same error (I never saw it before today)
2) Why didn't my new archive have more in it 3) why didn't my old archive have anything 4) what is the best method to avoid data loss for this or other problems?

There is an "inuse.lck" file in my BS3 folder from yesterday. Should I just delete it? Don't want to lose more data. My computer is not crashing, why is this happening?

Please see the following threads:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,20956.0.html

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,21030.0.html

This has occurred on my machine when I leave BeerSmith running and Windows or Office forces an update.  The updates do not allow the file clean up and archive activity BeerSmith does even after the main program has shut down.  People have also reported that it happens when they close the computer too soon after exiting from the active BeerSmith program, which disrupts the archive activity.  Brad has a blog on how to recover lost files on the main BeerSmith web site that may help.

He has also said that he is working on an update which will change how the program updates the archives to avoid this issue in the future.

Thank you, Oginme. I had shut down BS and did not have any kind of update since the last time I was running it (previous day). I went ahead and started the program without deleting the lock file and it came up normally. I then used the Restore from Backup and it appears that I have got all my data back.
I am impressed that BS has the two means of data recovery, and that it takes the step of backing up the current state first.
Hopefully my repeated problems with this are just a quirk

Back