• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profiling Tool

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello

I begin my brew design recipes with RO water.

I am planning a Cream Ale style. When going to the Water Target Profiles I find some style guides and some water profiles based on city locations. Is there a way for me to find a water profile per style of brew?

I've found the style specific profiles work well. If you're brewing something that doesn't fit one of them, just use the color profiles. For your Cream Ale I'd use either the "Yellow Dry" or "Yellow Balanced".

First, what Bob357 said.

Second, beware using 'city' profiles for targeting your brewing water.  Many places have multiple sources, breweries may be using private wells, and/or most breweries pretreated their water making the city profile useless unless it is specifically a brewery profile.

Bob, thanks for you answer. It make a lot of sense.

Oginme said:
First, what Bob357 said.

Second, beware using 'city' profiles for targeting your brewing water.  Many places have multiple sources, breweries may be using private wells, and/or most breweries pretreated their water making the city profile useless unless it is specifically a brewery profile.

A cities water chemistry may change as they add different additions to clean the water based on local conditions. Thanks Oginme.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about target water as local breweries change the water anyway. Base your water additions based on the style itself as opposed to water location. IMO.

Mark

Back