• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

trub loss

Jody

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to create a equipement profile for a grainfather. Everything is pretty much dialed in, however beersmith doesn't take into account your trub loss when calculating your OG. I do have .53 gal trub lost. When I export my recipe to grainfather app, my calculated OG is alway lower because the loss is taken into account. (dissolve sugar in an extra .53 gal of water).
Any ways to get around that? it's kinda annoying!

The two programs work differently.  BeerSmith works by you defining how much of the sugar from the mash makes it into the fermenter (Brew House Efficiency or BHE).  Then, if you increase or change any of the process losses that generates the need for more sugars, the program just draws more from the mash. 

I am not sure how the GrainFather app works, but many people have run into the same issue trying to get the two to be consistent with each other.  Since they work based upon different assumptions and starting points in the process for the calculation, it is a difficult and time consuming effort which really does not yield you much benefit.  I would recommend using one of the programs and concentrating on making that program accurately reflect your process.  Then once you have dialed one of the models in, use that one for your design and results.

As Oginme implied, Grainfather and BeerSmith use different assumptions in order to predict results. You need to choose one and go with it. You're making a good choice with BeerSmith, as it can be fine tuned to fit your own personal process and equipment. The link below will take you to a page with a video that will walk you through the process of creating an equipment profile that closely matches your system.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/04/beersmith-tutorial-equipment-profile-setup/

After a few batches, additional data you collect will allow you to dial it in to where You can go to the bank with BeerSmith's predictions.

One thing you need to be aware of up front. The volume markings on your Grainfather are very likely inaccurate, as are those of most any piece of brewing equipment. Don't use them in any measurements or calculations unless you have verified their accuracy.

Back