• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ingredient issues beersmith 3 gold

demetman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello, on 6/26/18 I upgraded from beersmith 2 to beersmith 3 Basic One Time Purchase. I immediately noticed that many common hops(cascade, simcoe etc), most White Lab and Wyeast yeasts were missing from the software. All of the sudden recipe development became extremely difficult. I started inputting these  products every time I created a recipe. I assumed that since beersmith 3 released paid subscriptions, this was a ploy to warrant a paid upgrade. So I upgraded to beersmith3 Gold Annual Subscription on 11/15/19 under the assumption that the software would be updated.

Since I upgraded I have been struggling with basic ingredients being available in the software for recipe development. No cascade, centennial, simcoe hops no common yeasts available wy1056, wlp001 etc. I'm to the point where I can't ever use this software anymore. I have installed all the plugins for all aforementioned ingredients. Another issue with beersmith3 is that the font is much smaller than beersmith 2 and I'm going blind trying to figure this stuff out. Beersmith2 was fine font wise and I cant seem to be able to increase it with beersmith 3. I greatly appreciate any assistance correcting these issues 

Ok, starting at the beginning, BeerSmith 3 is not an upgrade to Beersmith 2. It is an entirely independent program. You can actually run both simultaneously. When you installed BS3 you were asked if you wanted to merge BS2 and BS3 data. It would appear that you answered no. You can still do this by going to  File->Import BeerSmith 2 Directory.

Yes I believe I selected yes to merge data. All my previous recipes from beersmith 2 were moved to beersmith 3. Unfortunately, beersmith 2 has been removed from my computer. What's messing with my mind is that the beersmith 3 program that I am currently using does not have many commonly used products. No centennial hops, no wlp 001, etc. I would have expected the most common ingredients would be preloaded into the software. I wonder If the software on my computer is not operating properly? Thank you

The installs of BS3 have all had the same ingredient profiles which were in BS2, even before I transferred over my items.  The first thing that I would recommend checking your ingredient profiles to ensure is that there is nothing checked in the search box that might be limiting what is visible on the list.  Next, I am unclear if you are looking at the profiles or your inventory as the inventory will only show items which you have entered as having on hand.  To that issue, when you go to add ingredients to a recipe, there is a box at the top which limits choices to 'show only items in inventory' and if this box is checked the programs will only show those materials you have entered as having on hand.

Beyond that, I can only guess that somehow your ingredient profiles became corrupted.  If this appears to be the case, I can export the profiles which I have but note that these are no longer representative of the initial stock materials profiles since I have changed, deleted and added ingredients which were not available originally.

Ok, so I just reinstalled beersmith 2, reactivated with original product key then went to file and imported beersmith 2 directory. Voila! That seemed to restore beersmith 3 database with what was missing. Centennial, cascade, simcoe as well as white lab and wyeast yeasts are now showing. Before the import I was only seeing cryo hops, hop hash, NZ varieties and only newer yeast labs mangrove, omega, bulldog etc. Very strange. The only other issue I would like to address is being able to increase font size while building recipes and for print out. I appreciate all the help

Back