• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Something doesn't seem right -sanity check

padajones

Apprentice
Reaction score
I found these Blue Moon clone recipies, https://blog.eckraus.com/blue-moon-recipe-clone-extract-all-grain. Here is the grain bill from it:

5.5 lb. Two-Row Brewers Malt
4.5 lb. White Wheat Malt
1 lb. Flaked Oats

I've only brewed extract recipe kits up until 2 brews ago.  So, I figured it would be easier to enter the all-Grain recipe (6G yield) into BeerSmith then utilize the "convert" feature to convert it to an extract (3G yield) recipe. 

Here's the odd part. The resulting Extract recipe specifies to steep 19lbs 3.5oz of Carafoam and utilize 2lb 2.5oz of Wheat LME.

The only other recipe I converted from all-grain (5G yield) to extract (3G yield) thru BeerSmith resulted in more LME than the base malt and an appropriately (3/5ths) scaled  speciality grains to Steep.

I'd appreciate any thougts and feedback.

One of the things to be careful of when you convert a recipe is the specific malts or extracts that the program is told to use.  You have to sort of babysit it to make sure it does the right thing.

In this case, due to the presence of the flaked oats, it needs to have some base malt to mash and convert the starches from the oats.  It cannot be directly converted to an extract recipe because of this ingredient.  You are either going to have a partial mash recipe or go with the all-grain version.

Thanks.  There is so much to learn.  But, it is super interesting and fun.

Back