• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

TRIED TO ENTER A BLAAND

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Was unable to add a style to the list for an experimental I put together.
It is a blaand. Uses Whey, sugar, and yeast. Any help on the secret to success here would be appreciated. Tried to get it in 5 times and wouldn't go onto the list. Ended up using "open mead category, but the numbers are all wrong. Needs to be 1.25 OG and the program laughs at me when I put it in...
Moved this over to recipes, where I am keeping a written log of what kind of Franken Drink I am creating.

You can use "experimental" beer or mead for your style. Once it's in the recipe, click the check mark and change the paramenters to what you want them to be.

I'm curious about the 1.25 OG number. That's very, very thick and I don't think there's enough sugar in the recipe to achieve it. Can you elaborate?

I suspect that it's probably a 1.055-ish OG, which would give you about 6% abv and seems reasonable for ancient beverages.
I'm really just curious because I haven't heard of Blaand until you posted.

In blaand, there is no tap water. it is 100% whey liquid and this recipe makes a 4 gallon batch. So the 4 lbs sugar is added to whey which has 13g of milk sugar per cup.

There are 16 cups in a gallon which is 208 grams in a gallon. That is 832 grams of milk sugar per batch (1.834 lbs).

Now that I did the calculation, damn! that is a total of almost 6 lbs ferment-able sugar for a 4 gallon batch! My sweet tooth is vibrating at the thought!

Batch is still bubbling away. Color has lightened slightly, but it still has the green hue of Slime on Ghostbusters.
This is either going to go fantastically well or horribly wrong.
If it goes well, I have 4 gallons of something brand new for $5 bucks
Or a catastrophe which will require a lot of mouthwash (which will add @ $2 to the cost)
Either way, I spend more on a couple of gallons of gas for my bike!

Using your numbers, the OG, without accounting for any volume losses, would come out to ~1.062. Because the milk sugar is almost completely  unfermentable, that would net you ~6% ABV. More in the realm of what I'd expect for an ancient brew. Sounds like a fun and reasonably priced experiment and you'll have some Ricotta as an added bonus.

Of course, not being able to leave well enough alone, I added some kosher salt to the curds... If the blaand doesn't turn out, no sweat! This cheese is awesome!

Primary still bubbling away.
Color has lightened a bit more, @65 degrees F
Found calc. for whey, it weighs 8.7 lbs per gallon. so I put in 33.75 lbs of whey to the 4 pounds table sugar. When reverting the whey to "non fermentable, the Beersmith calc. came out to estimate 8.5% I feel like Lewis & Clark here... Not sure where I am going and not sure what I am seeing, but damned excited to be here!

Looked at the ABV tool again and it came out to 8.2% ABV. Must have been drinking when I posted it earlier :)

OG was checked twice to make sure it was correct. Keep in mind there is no water in this, all is whey, which is fairly thick.
Checked on it and the gravity had already dropped to 1.083. Of course I couldn't put the thief liquid back so i HAD TO try it. Very sweet and smooth. Alcohol already evident. Still bubbling away. Color lightening still. According to what I read, it will be ready when it is clear. Wonder how my motorcycle is going to run on this stuff.
For more info on this and other off the wall recipes search out happyhomesteader.uk.

Put blaand into secondary. Reading is 1.072. Added L-1118 to try to spark more fermentation. Sample tastes very sweet and smooth. Has a citrusy pineapple taste in the background. Going to add some rye to give another dimension and to try to cut into the sweetness a bit. Also, my project has to have alternate grains to qualify, and rye is considered an alternate for it. 1lb mashed in 1 gallon water.
2/27/20; Added 1 lb rye to 3/4 gallon water and steeped at 152 for 1/2 hour. Boiled for 15 minutes to break. Aerated and
              added to the secondary.
              Fermentation reactivated. Gravity went down to 1.042, due to wort being added and thinning out the whey.

Back