• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about the ratios to grain with Beersmith 3 different mash profile

Untitled2

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there this is my first post here.

I've been trying to learn via beersmith about the different mash profiles we can do with this and realised that usually the ratios are all the same, i mean if you choose a standard profile as single infusion the saccarifiaction will offer you a 2.608 L/KG wich is a standard which you can modify and have fun with.

Though i'm quite a newby with this and i'm still learning a lot.. but here is my question, if you look at my 2 receipes here in images, my grain ratio at the protein rest is the same, i didn't took a picture of this one but both are proposing a 1,878 L/KG as protein rest.

But then what confuse me is that they are proposing different ratios to grain for the saccarification period, why? 4.358 L/KG and the second one 3.983 L/KG.. of course the receipe are note the same, fisrt one is a pilsner and the second one is a double ipa, wich actually i don't even have enough space in my 10 gallons mash to realise (if a want to realise a "protein rest" with it), though beside this fact i just want to understand why and how beersmith comes up with 2 different ratio to grain for the saccarification period? What is the calcul?

I mean i know how it arrives at 4.358 L/KG mathematically, if we choose the first receipe, its simply 13.8 L (protein rest) + 8.56 L (saccarification) =  22.36 L / 5.13 KG total receipe grain = 4.538 yeah but how beersmith decided that i should do my saccarification whit 22.36 L on this one (13.8 + 8.56)? I image i could change this info to be able to have enough space in my mashing process and less water for my fly period but i'd like to understand the logic of the default values first.

It would have been logic to me to believe the program is proposing these different ratios to have an equal volume of fly sparging water at the end, on whatever receipe you're doing applying on my equipement but that's not the case  :eek:

Thank you alot !

The mash profiles and equipment profiles are templates. You can alter profiles to suit your needs by selecting "Profiles" and then selecting the appropriate category. You really should create an equipment profile prior to designing or entering any recipes. Unless you find a mash profile that fits your needs, you should alter an existing profile or create your own. The BeerSmith site has tutorials that will walk you through these functions.

My equipment profile is already done and already applying on both of these receipe. Before altering the default values i need to understand why the ratios are not the same since I choosed for both "Double infusion, medium body" with the same equipement.

As Bob pointed out, these profiles are basic templates for you to modify to brew the way YOU want to operate your process.  Very likely, you are looking at a mash profile with infusion for the temperature increase through the addition of hot water.  This additional infusion volume would change the liquor to grain ratio.  If you  have a way of heating the mash without using hot water additions, then those ratios are meaningless to you.

I would highly recommend getting a good book on brewing basics.  John Palmer's How To Brew is top notch and even used by pro brewers.  Please do NOT use the liquor to grain ratios in the stock BeerSmith profiles as any type of recommendation on the best way to mash or operate your process.

I undersdood this as i mentionned in the first place, the fact that you can modify the templates. Of course this addition of water will change the liquor to grain ratio and i wanted to understand the default values proposed by beersmith, didn't say i was about to operate it as shown. I don't have a way to heat my mash because i would obviously not be interested in adding hot water to reach my saccarification step. If there's no logic behind these ratios as default values i'll simply modify them the way i want i guess to fit my equipement, that was already my next step to do. Because i believe i need to do a protein rest as i use unmalted grain such as oat, buckwheat and rye as 10-15% of my total grain sometimes.
But yeah i like John Palmer's videos, i'll buy that book too thank you.

Back