• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling up?

gr33s3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
We currently have a 1bbl brew house, with 3bbl fermenters. Taking 3batches to fill our fermenters, what?s the best way to scale up?  Scale the recipient up to a 3bbl recipe and divide by three? Or just make our regular 1bbl recipe three times?  Or is there another conversion method more accurate?  Thank you

In pro situations where multiple batches are needed to fill the fermenter, each brewhouse batch is logged and brewed individually. Then, here's where you'll have to decide what gets the most out of your system and adapt your recordkeeping to it.

In most cases, it's just easiest to make the same recipe multiple times, except that the yeast is added during just one of the multiple fills, depending on volume. In your case, the second is probably best for yeast, if the batches are back-to-back.

I've got one facility with tanks that are up to 5x brewhouse size. I've also got tanks that are 1x size. All brew logs are given a batch number. Second to fifth batch are given the same batch number, plus letters b to e, respectively (we drop the "a"  for simplicity). A competitor has all double batch size tanks, so he just assigns one batch number to what's in the tank.

I keep a separate cellar log that records the batch numbers, dates and tank gravity after transfer. Often fermentation has started by the time the third batch goes in and we might not need or want to oxygenate. It kinda depends on gravity, pH and whether more wort will follow.

As an aside, I know one brewer who will add all of the specialty malts to just one of the batches. Not for any technical reason other than it's just easier during milling because it's less effort to weigh the grain.

Back