• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

funky odor

B

BeerBatteredRob

alright, well last Saturday i brewed up an extract IPA recipe...for the first couple of days in the fermentor i would go to check the temperature of it to make sure all was well, and of course get down by the air lock and have a little sniff, and for a while it had a wonderful smell, reminded me a bit of the aroma of Bear Republic's Racer 5.  Now, for the past two or so days, when I've checked on it, the smell has been quite different...i wouldn't necessarily say its a bad odor, just something seems a bit off with it.  i will be transferring it into the 2nd fermentor this weekend.  any ideas what might have made the odor change so drastically?

I would say if the fermentation got off well, then perhaps the yeast have consumed all on one sugar and are working on another.  The odor maybe no worry.  As an option on a IPA or other 1.050 type ale, skip the secondary and just leave it for a few weeks.  I did it the last time after some vet brewers suggested it and the beer was great.  Some will actually say that racking increases the odds of bacteria or oxidation.  I'm going to continue to skip it on anything fairly basic.

oh yeah? i might have to try that. thanks!

after brewing this batch, i had some leftover cascade hops, and i'm thinking about dry hopping it with these....there wasnt really that much leftover, so i'm not even sure that it will be enough to make a difference, but we shall see!

Back