• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory not shown in Shopping cart - Bug ??

steveoatley

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll
I've got Beer Smith 3.0.8 on a MAC running OS 10.13.6 ( in case that matters )

I have a recipe requiring 8 gallons of my local water - see pic - inventory says I have water in my inventory
I have an Inventory with my water - in my inventory - see pic 2
When I added the recipe to my " shopping list  " - pic 3 = NOW I NEED WATER ?? pic show there is 0 in inventory ????

( can you see the pics - or are they fuzzy ? )

So what is the point of having an item in INVENTORY if the Three data base queries don't match ??

Any ideas ?

is this a known bug ?

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2521.jpg
    IMG_2521.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 312
I see in the pic of the recipe that you don't have a volume listed for the water. Since 8 gallons is showing up on the shopping list, I wonder if you didn't select a water entry that listed zero as the inventory when you added the water volume. That appears to be the problem. Try substituting either 2018 Water or 2019 Water for the current water entry, then empty the shopping cart and re add the recipe ingredients to the cart. I'm betting that'll solve the mystery.
If you have multiple entries for an ingredient you need to be sure and select the one that you have in inventory for the proper amount needed to show up in the shopping cart.

Bob,

thanks for the Suggestion... both 2018 & 2019 water in INVENTORY have 1000 gallons in my inventory

I tried your work around.....using 2018 water instead.... and got the same result = 0 inventory = 8 gallons NEEDED...???

Why does BeerSmith add EVERYTHING in the recipe to the shopping cart ???
As apposed to Individual items in the recipe I "highlight"....??

Thanks Bob

Still looking for a solution

I've never had the problem you describe, When I choose to add the ingredients in a recipe to my shopping cart, everything appears and the amounts needed are generally accurate. The only problem I've had similar to yours was when I made some new entries for hops, using the crop year in the ingredient name. Recipes prior to these entries had the old ingredient names and showed zero inventory in the recipes. Are the water entries you have in inventory newer than the recipe you're working with? Just grasping straws, I'm sure there's a simple answer that we're both missing.

As for your other question: I generally order ingredients for 5 batches. Just speculating here, but this scenario is likely the reason: If I had 2 lbs. of Munich malt in inventory and used a total of 6 lbs. spread over the 5 batches, without exceeding 2 lbs. in any one recipe,  and it wasn't entered in the shopping cart for all of the recipes it wouldn't show up at all as being needed. By entering every ingredient, the amount in each of the 5 recipes would be subtracted from the inventory level and any resulting negative balance would be shown as "needed". This assumes that the ingredient needs are calculated using the shopping cart content, which would probably be the best place for the calculation.

Bob

Each Year of "Detroit's Water" is based on the Different Water Reports
And as such the same recipe would require slightly different "Water Salts" as additions

I did try... and remove the NUMBER ( 2019 ) from the water item.... in my inventory
and went back into the recipe and SWAPPED Water 2019 for just Water..... and then added to Shopping Cart

Still same result..... 0 water in inventory 8 gallons needed - i tried this swap in a different recipe as well

So this is NOT a recipe Bug - it happened the same in both - this is a BeerSmith Bug

Still thinking = Thanks for your suggestions !
Steve

Just for spits and giggles, create a 'misc' item for your water, give it an inventory and add it to the recipe that way.  Now try to 'add to cart' and see if it behaves the same way.  It may just be limited to the water profiles and that might give some hint as to where the program needs to be fixed.

I just had the SAME Problem with Honey

I added 1 lb of Honey-clover to my inventory = it shows up in my Inventory & shows up at in my Recipe
ONLY when i add the recipe to my Shopping Cart = 0 Honey-Clover in inventory

So.... i have the SAME BUG with a Misc Fermentable.

Still looking

Thanks for the help Ya'll !!
Steve

steveoatley said:
Oginme

Do you mean create a New Misc Item - like a new Spice
or create a New Water....

Create a new ingredient in 'misc' titled 'water', but at this point it is moot. 

Bob,  maybe.....?

To other BeerSmith users.... What is Your Most recent Version of BeerSmith ??

I am a 1 time "buyer" - not a Subscriber to the software.....so

What Version are the Subscribers on ?

Thanx

steveoatley said:
Still same result..... 0 water in inventory 8 gallons needed - i tried this swap in a different recipe as well

So this is NOT a recipe Bug - it happened the same in both - this is a BeerSmith Bug

Inventory means actual amounts on-hand. You have a water source, not an inventory. The source is assumed to be constant and infinite.

All of your ingredients need unique names in order for BeerSmith to correctly recognize and account for inventory. If you have duplicate ingredient names (even if Origin or other specs are different), BeerSmith won't see them as different. The inventory will not always show correctly in the shopping list.

I have my Water Source in my Inventory - because i could choose from more than 1 source ( Like store bought Distilled )
please see Pic #2
My Water source has 1000 gallons in my Inventory
I have 23 lbs of Marris O in my Inventory

When I write a Recipe..... Water is SHOWN as in my Inventory = 1000 gal ( in the recipe, please see pic )
Marris O is SHOWN as in my Inventory

When I ADD the Recipe to My Shopping Cart = there is ZERO WATER show in my Inventory ?!?!?!?!
But the shopping cart shows that I DON'T need to buy MO, it shows the correct amount of MO in my INVENTORY

What is the point of having and "INVENTORY" if the SHOPPING CART does not see the INVENTORY
OF ALL ITEMS.....?????????

Bug in software 

If you want to make sure that this gets some attention from Brad, I would recommend sending your issue directly to him via the email on the main BeerSmith web site. 

there does not appear to be a Contact email for Brad on the website.......?

This is the Support Forum..... right ?

I'm not an expert
Just trying to help

Try this:

http://www.beersmith.com/contact-us/

Hi,
  I took a close look at this and there is a bug in the water item inventory handling.  I have corrected it and it will be in the next release which I'm hoping to get into testing within the next few weeks.

Brad

Back