• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Advice request for a larger-than-normal mash tun

Silicon

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm going to switch to all-grain brewing (yay!) and normally make 6 gallon batches. I've read a lot about the considerations for optimal mash tuns for my usage, but I'm wondering if some of you experienced folks wouldn't mind chiming in on my following idea for a larger-than-normal mash tun?

I normally ferment 6-gal batches with OGs of 1.050-1.065. I think an 8-10 gal mash tun would be fine. (Round or not, it doesn't matter to me, as I'll be using a custom manifold and not a false bottom.)  Sometimes, I do back-to-back batches (i.e. a pair of 6-gal fermenters) so a larger mash tun would be nice to have.
Idea: What about the following 70 quart Coleman cooler?
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quart-Xtreme-Marine-Cooler/dp/B00DP67PZY/ref=pd_sbs_468_18
This cooler is taller, not longer, so I'm thinking for 6-gal batches, I'd only fill it halfway and still have a decent grain bed. For double batches, a deeper grain bed seems fine based on what I've read.

Does this sound feasible? Or do y'all think I might be pushing my luck? :)

Thx in advance!

70 quart should be fine. I used a 100 quart coleman cooler for my 5 to 6 gallon batches. I used whatever water volumes were needed for the size of the grain bill not the size of the cooler.

Super, I really appreciate the 2nd opinion. Gluck 'n gbrewing!

Back