• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Forgot Whirlfloc...

dgingras

Apprentice
Reaction score
Chicago, IL I know, I know, no judging.... :)
Whats the worst I can expect for forgetting to whirlfloc at the end of my 10 gal boil?
I know, simple mistakes when things get busy... 
I cant get to, or order on line anything in time, as I'm bottling in 3 more days......
Though I am staring at my bottle of whirlfoc tabs with a thought....

Any disastrous consequences besides cloudiness and a heavy sediment expectation in the bottles by just letting it go as a teaching moment?
Doug

You may have transferred a bit more trub over to your fermenter.  This will most likely clear up during fermentation and the trub which transferred will also help with providing some of the building blocks (amino acids) which the yeasts will utilize as they reproduce.  Given enough time in the fermenter, you will probably not even know that you forgot the whirlflock.

All is good.

Oh thank you Grandmaster! My fears are quelled and my anticipation is once again rejuvenated! It'll be a 15day Primary,I'm feeling a bit lazy to do a secondary for a simple summer ale.
Hell, I'm gonna drink it anyway, I just had fears of sideways looks from my friends when they have some too!
Thanks!! :)

Did have a similar problem once. Usually I add Irish Moss at the end of the boil, and I do bottle carbonization. In one brew- a very hoppy IPA- I forgot the Irish Moss and decided to use gelatin in the secondary long enough before bottling. Turned out that the carbonization level in different bottles varied a lot.

Maybe I did something wrong when preparing or adding the gelatin- I do agree with Oginme: if this should happen again, I would rather accept a hazy beer than a carbonation mess. Guess it works better for kegging.

Back