• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Irish Red

Rjezowski75

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm looking for a fantastic all grain, 5.5gal, Irish Red recipe. My only stipulation is that your recipe turns out very RED, only using grain, and not using RedX.

To get that redish color (12-16 srm or so), I'd use 1% of roasted barley. Special B would also work but might be considered out of style.

94% British pale malt (Maris,Pearl, Halcyon, Optic, etc)
5% British medium crystal (40-60)
1% Roasted Barley

English hops to the tune of 25ish IBU. Good choices are numerous; Target, Admiral, Northdown, EKG are a few of my favorites. Northern Brewer would be interesting as well.

Yeast: I'd probably do Irish ale yeast. You get low esters and it drops for a clear beer. Attenuation is lower 70's.

If you like messing with water, I'd say something like amber/balanced. Perhaps a SO4/CL ratio of 1.2-1.4.

Cheers,

Mark

Must admit I like the sound of that Irish red, just might have to give that a go.
Thanks for sharing.

Following on from that, I obviously search through the many recipes and have made some great brews form them. However, I would love to see more tasting notes. I know they are subjective, but sometimes you look at a recipe and wonder what that is like?
Just putting that out there :)

Easy drinking, slightly in malt's favor in balance, toffee and/or caramel, dry biscuit finish aided by the roasted barley. You can have some more caramelly or toffee-like and some more dry and biscuity. Light earthy or floral-hop is rare but I like a tad of hop character in mine. It's hard to do and the light use of hops is similar to Scottish styles where it just keeps the beer from finishing too sweet.

Cheers,

Mark

I wasn?t hinting at you to write a tasting not, it was just a general comment, but I?m glad you did.
I?m definitely going to give it a try after my next order as I will need some roasted barley.

Thanks a lot

Rjezowski75 said:
I'm looking for a fantastic all grain, 5.5gal, Irish Red recipe. My only stipulation is that your recipe turns out very RED, only using grain, and not using RedX.
I?ve been following The Homebrew Challenge On YouTube and he brews a very red looking Irish Red Ale. If you have not watched it as yet, I would recommend taking a look. He is planning on brewing 99 beers in 99 weeks all of the different styles in the BJCP.

Back