• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparge and pre-boil Measurements

WhiteRhyno

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,

My question is about water volumes in Beersmith, when temperature expansion is taken into account, and how I go about measuring this.

I understand that Beersmith uses the thermal expansion %, generally 4%, and that the sparge volumes etc have this factored in, I am just confused as to how I should be measuring the volumes.

I use a ruler, and calculate the volume based on the formula of V=πr2H. Is that the correct volume measurement I should be using for my hot water volumes, and presume Beersmith has calculated everything in the background, or should I be somehow factoring thermal expansion as well?

Cheers

The volumes of strike water, sparge water, pre-boil volume are all based upon a thermally expanded (hot) measurement.  You can follow the volume calculations on the 'vols' tab in your recipe.  The program starts with the batch size volume and calculates backward to get to the strike and sparge volumes. 

Thanks,

I had been over thinking it in the past, and using different formulas allowing for thermal expansion @ 60C and 100C, and was wondering why my SG was out.

Will just keep it simple from now on :)

Back