• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Volume for extract or juice

lemmeholdthat

Apprentice
Reaction score
How does beersmith handle the increase in volume from adding juice or LME?  From what I can tell, if I add xkg of either it has no impact on the volumes in my recipe, but it will impact the gravity.  It almost seems like it is being treated as a dry source of sugar.

For beer, BeerSmith calculates everything as if 1 lb (or kg) is used to make 1 gallon (or l) of wort, must, juice, etc.. To my knowledge, it doesn't automatically account for the extra water in LME or whole juice. With LME or candi syrup, it's more about displacement than actual finished volume since the directions will say "add water to X volume." This may be different in Cider, Mead and Wine settings, I just don't have experience with those settings.

For dried extract or sugar, BeerSmith3 lists the volume on the design tab, but that volume is not used in any of the calculations on the volume tab. It is usually not a big deal, but if you are making a high gravity beer by adding several pounds of extract, the volume of the extract can make a difference. Same for LME and, I guess, juice (which I haven't used). I hope that the next version will correctly account for the volume of these extra additions. For now I have a spreadsheet that can do this when needed.

--GF

Back