• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding a new fermentable from an analysis

x3la

Brewer
Reaction score
I have a 25kg sack of "Crisp No19 Maris Otter". It is floor malted by hand and as such there's no typical analysis.

I requested the analysis in EBC from Crisp by supplying them with the Bag Reference (SS17748) and I'd like to enter it into BeerSmith as a new fermentable.

Moisture3.5%
EBC Extract 0.2mm dry basis81.6 deg SRM
ASBC Colour Visual2.7 deg EBC
EBC Colour Visual6.0
Total Nitrogen dry basis1.49%
EBC Total Soluble Nitrogen dry basis0.73%
EBC Kolbach Index48.7%
Friability94.5%
Homogeneity99.3%
Best Before31/01/2022

Moisture and Colour are obvious.

Is anyone able to help plug the rest of the values into the fields available in BeerSmith?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 11.40.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 11.40.40.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 6
The EBC Extract is actually a percentage and you can enter this value in the 'yield' section.  When you do this, the program will calculate the potential based upon that number.  You have the moisture and color.  Protein for Maris Otter generally runs from 8.8% to around 10% and for the lots I have received in the past, is generally around 9.4%.  That said, I really don't think that the protein value is used by the program, or is the diastatic power, so that should set you for what you need to begin. 

I was never really sure if the program uses the fine grind extract or coarse grind extract for the potential calculation, but have never had any issues using the fine grind, dry basis extract value when I have entered grains into the database or updated values based upon lot analysis I have received.

Thanks again for your help!

Digging deeper, I'm reading the following article:

https://www.probrewer.com/library/malt/understanding-malt-analysis-sheets/

European terminology. The EBC unit of measurement for diastatic power is ?WK (Windisch-Kolbach units). The value of ?WK can be converted to ?Lintner by the formula DP ?Lintner = (?WK + 16) / 3.5.

However, I'm given a percentage rather than units so I'm not sure how to calculate that one:

EBC Kolbach Index 48.7%

For Protein, I read that:

Protein (%): Because proteins are made of nitrogen-based compounds such as amino acids, maltsters use protein and nitrogen values interchangeably; each 1% of nitrogen equals 6.25% of protein. Whether the analysis sheet provides total protein or total nitrogen (TN), the figure represents all the nitrogenous matter in the malt, including insoluble forms.

I have:

Total Nitrogen dry basis 1.49%

So
Code:
1.49 x 6.25 = [b]9.3125%[/b]
of Protein

Back