• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Creating / refining my own equipment profile

padajones

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been using the Extract mini 3G / 11 l batch equipment profile.  I've brewed 3 batches with BeerSmith, about another 6 from recipe kits (pretty new to BeerSmith and brewing).  My brewing numbers have been reasonably hitting their targets.  While it likely isn't important I've got the equipment capacity to be able to brew without having to top off with water before pitching the yeast.  I want to make my own profile so my bottling volume ends up a 3 gal without having to top off with water. I've noticed you can edit the equipment settings for a specific recipe.

I'm figuring I'm creating my own equipment profile and will use that for new recipes going forward.  My question is how best to handle the 3 recipes I've already created and had success with.  Should I edit the equipment setting for those recipes?  Or, should I be using the scale recipe function to do what it says when moving to the new equipment profile?

I guess my bigger picture question is: As I better know (refine) my equipment profile, should I always be using scale recipe to move to the newest rendition?

Not only could you create your own or modify an existing equipment profile, you should!  You want the program to reflect how you want to brew and not let the program dictate how you operate your system. 

There are a few good tutorials on YouTube on setting up an equipment profile.  You can also use the 'Equip Wizard' in the equipment profiles library to have the program walk you through all the basic configuration inputs. 

As you your existing recipes, every recipe in BeerSmith is a self-contained archive.  This allows your past recipes to be a historical record of what you did and brewed.  I would recommend doing a search on the forum for the 'brew log' function which will help with setting up brew sessions from a master recipe.  It puts a copy of your recipe into a new folder called "brew log" (strange coincidence, huh?).  You can then make any adjustments, such as scaling the copy in brew log to your new profile.  And even if you update your equipment profile in the future, you will have a copy of what you did and can scale a new copy to your newly updated profile.  Hint:  I always add the date of the last update to my equipment profile, so that I can tell at a glance if I have the latest copy in the recipe or not.

Congrats on your successes so far!

Back