• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewhouse efficiency

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Recent brew of an oatmeal milk stout required an OG of 1.055. When I checked before pitching yeast I recorded 1.070.

My brewhouse efficiency is set to 72% but I Think it should be higher based on what my OG was.

What are people?s thoughts on this? And what are your efficiencies.

I mash in a ss brewtech mash tun and sparge using the recirc bulkhead. Temperatures are always spot on.

Thanks

Efficiency is measured by both the gravity and the corresponding volume.  Luckily, BeerSmith does this calculation and comparison to your estimated brew house efficiency from your equipment profile. 

If you go to the 'session' tab in the recipe and enter in the measured values, you will see on the left hand side of the second section the estimated efficiency and measured efficiency listed.  I have taken a screen shot and highlighted the measured efficiency and circled the estimated and measured efficiency.

The more accurate your measurements are the more accurate this value will be.

Attachments

• efficiency calc sessions tab.jpg
    efficiency calc sessions tab.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
Back