• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Temp issues with my AG Mash

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all.
I did an English bitter AG this past weekend.
My third AG after 8 extract batches.
And I am starting to use BeerSmith.
I feel that I am doing good, but lots to learn.
Still seems like a comedy of errors, but live and learn!
Watching the Super Bowl probably didn't help!
Couple of issues with my last batch.
You can look at my .bsm if you care to.
I have a 40qt Coleman cooler for a mash tun.
I did a single infusion, light body, batch sparge.
I got the initial strike water a little too hot (was supposed to be 172*) so my mash was 158*.
I cooled it down to 154* with the lid open.
Closing the lid, the temp dropped to 152* after 60 minutes.  That is good.
BeerSmith said to have the mash out water temp at 210*.
This should make the mash at 168*.
My mash only got to 161*.
I can't get the water much hotter than 210*.
Is this an issue and what can I do about it?

My Sparge water was 168*.
After adding to the mash, the mash temp was 162*.
Do I need to be concerned with the mash temp on the sparge, or do I need to increase the sparge water temp?

BeerSmith is cool, but it takes some learning.
It will happen.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any comments.

I thought I could attach the .bsm here, but I don't know how.
If someone can tell me, then I'll do it.

SkyFlyer said:
I did a single infusion, light body, batch sparge....so my mash was 158*.
I cooled it down to 154* with the lid open. Closing the lid, the temp dropped to 152* after 60 minutes. 

These higher temps will just increase the ratio of non-fermentable sugars - no harm likely done.  Ice cubes work too.  Starch conversion starts amazingly fast.  We checked the gravity on our barley wine after only ten minutes of mash time, and it was already at 1.092 (22.5 Brix) in ten minutes, so if you want to get the intended profile and your temperature is off, I think you have to adjust it quickly.  After 75 minutes, ours rose to only 25 Brix, so much of the conversion happened in the first 20 minutes. 

SkyFlyer said:
This should make the mash at 168*.  My mash only got to 161*.

Lots of variables here, but again no harm done, just not going to increase the flow-rate like 168 would have.

SkyFlyer said:
I thought I could attach the .bsm here, but I don't know how.

Click on "Additional Options..." and you'll see buttons for adding various attachments. 

I got the initial strike water a little too hot (was supposed to be 172*) so my mash was 158*.
I cooled it down to 154* with the lid open.Closing the lid, the temp dropped to 152* after 60 minutes.  That is good.
So what was the total time the water was on the grains? As Maltlicker stated the conversion happens fairly quickly. If the first 20-30min were around 158 then you have a full body beer. Not that that is bad! but don't be surprised if you if your Final Gravity is a few points higher.
This should make the mash at 168*.
My mash only got to 161*.
I can't get the water much hotter than 210*.
Is this an issue and what can I do about it?
This probably means you need to work on your equipment settings a little. These settings will take some time to get right.
To help with the adjustments go here and look at #2 on my post. It should get you closer
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=2096.msg8543#msg8543
Use BeerSmith's Strike/Infusion Temp tool... It has what you need if you use it.
My Sparge water was 168*.
After adding to the mash, the mash temp was 162*.
Do I need to be concerned with the mash temp on the sparge, or do I need to increase the sparge water temp?
As long as the Sparge temp is not to high it should be fine.

Cheers
Preston

Here is the .bsm if anyone wants to look at it.

I am still not familiar with the BeerSmith tools, such as the Strike/Infusion Temp tool.
I'll have to read the help on it.
Does it adjust your recipe, or do you have to transfer the numbers?
The mash was at 75 minutes when the mash out water was added.  There was a 10 minute rest for the batch sparge.
I have played with the equipment numbers, but not with a recipe that I recipe that I am doing yet.
I guess I really don't know what I am doing yet and why!
I have your notes, Preston, and thanks.
I just can't see how you can get any hotter than 212* to heat the mash from 161* to 168*
I can't see how the equipment settings will help here.
It will just take time.
I'll just have to keep reading help and looking at the forum.
If there are any out there who are using a 8 gallon pot and a 48qt cooler, maybe I could take a look at your settings.  I would appreciate it.
I'll keep at it!  I have my next batch the following weekend, so I have a little time to work on it.
Next time, I will have boiling water and ice cubes at the ready!
So, my beer might be a little heavier.  I can think of many worse things!
Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• English Bitter AG1.bsm
    12.7 KB · Views: 228
SkyFlyer said:
I am still not familiar with the BeerSmith tools, such as the Strike/Infusion Temp tool.
I'll have to read the help on it.
Does it adjust your recipe, or do you have to transfer the numbers?
You transfer the numbers, or not. Its up to you to decide.
I just can't see how you can get any hotter than 212* to heat the mash from 161* to 168*
Your not getting the water hotter, your adding more watter to the Grist in order to get the Mash out higher. I usually plug the numbers in before I add the Mash out water. This gives me an idea if I need to adjust the recipe and how much water I'm going to sparge with. If I need to add an extra 1/2 gallon to get the temps up, I know I need to subtract 1/2G from the sparge.
I can't see how the equipment settings will help here.
Equipment settings will give you a better prediction of what you can expect during the brew session. Thereby alleviating the need to adjust temps. Then you can focus on the brew session rather than worrying about how to fix issues that arise. Granted, things happen to "Everyone" you just get more accustomed to dealing with them. Then they are not issues, more like speed-bumps.
It will just take time.
Yes, Yes it will. But don't get discouraged. Your making beer. How bad can it be! :)
I'll just have to keep reading help and looking at the forum.
Don't forget to ask questions, that's what we are here for. Helping each other to make better beer!

Cheers
Preston

UselessBrewing said:
Your making beer. How bad can it be! :)

Preston, of all your sage like advise I think this is the one little morsel that I take exception with.  Believe me when I tell you that I speak from experience, it can be bad, IT CAN BE REALLY REALLY BAD  ;)

LOL... Sage Like Advice? Good Lord Man! Why do you think my beer is called Useless Brewing? I have yet to make a good beer, But I keep trying!

My worst day making beer is a million times better than my best day at work...

Cheers
Preston

Back