• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What Else?

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Besides Big Block motors, Motorcycles, Mountian Bikes, What else youz guyz do?  (Obviously us northerners have hit the wall with weather!)

For me, I have a 2 yr old, so she is Priority nummer Eins.  After that, I am usually doing some project related to home improvement.  That is one of the good things about home brewing.  If you like being at home-which I have come to love vs. my old life of roaming the vast bar scene of Chicago's north side, it is perfect.

Upcoming task list is a little like this:
-Finnish bookcase refurb
-Finnish trimming out back porch, prime, paint walls, install flooring TBD (prolly laminate faux wood that will hold up to abuse)
-Replace Windows, repair built ins, paint new nursury
-Partial gut in upstairs bath, pull out crummy surround and linoleum replace with tile, new lighting and water fixtures, paint vanity, Maybe a granite top and sink.
-Organize basement and garage

Then I'm probably ready to start some landscape TBD stuff.

Recreation:
-Hopefully warm weather trip to Hilton Head End of March
-Biking more
-Support Cubs addiction with 20+ games, manage tickets, listen to Cubs on radio while carrying out tasks
-Hopefully Getting barrels and burners configured for larger AG batches
-I wouldn't mind getting back into shooting clays

Fishing and Golf are nice too, but with limited free time, Biking, Brewing, & Baseball will probably win out.

What kind of biking?

I have a road bike, a winter bike and can't wait to get the touring bike out.

Rep, since I moved and got busy with house, brewing and then snow control, no biking... When I can I enjoy mountain biking.  Since I'm a midwesterner and the industry has evolved, that is now called cross country riding.

Guys I ride with typicall only have front suspension and aim for effciency.  Of course part of the hobby is getting expensive lighter faster components and then adding in custom anodized bits of bling.

All this to hopefully scream through the woods on.

I usually have a 2nd set of wheels built up with narrow gauge slicks for urban and rail to trail crushed limestone usage.

I keep planning on building a trackbike with brakes.  It is so flat here, I don't need 27-30 gears. 

My wife and my friends and I rock out to Rock Band 2 every Friday night.

Other than brewing, motorcycling, and preparing equipment for the both of them and keeping the house looking good, there's no time for anything much more.

Unless of course you include the 3+ hours a night of movies....
We've been to Sundance 3 times and have seen a LOT of movies.  Mostly the artsy stuff, too.  It's convenient to be married without kids!

We have Netflix account (4DVDs at once) and also stream stuff though there.  With the PS3, we can access Hulu and NBC.  I've also got a 1000hr Tivo Series 3, so we are in no way lacking for content.

We really enjoyed the Joss Whedon "Firefly" series, so we sucked it up and decided to watch his most famous stuff, the entire Buffy The Vampire Slayer series.  I'm turning 40 this year, so I was in my early 30s when it was live and was "too mature" for something that sounds so....young.  Well, I gotta say, after seeing this I was pretty amazed at it.  There are pretty much no happy outcomes with Joss Whedon plotlines, but we became engrossed in the characters and even after 8 years it seemed fresh and was going interesting places.  We cared about the characters and they were multi-dimensional (in the non-scifi way :) ). Don't knock it until you try it--but it's a 144 hour commitment.

We've also been pretty much averse to network TV for quite a while.  Too predictable.  Too boring.  And we're no fans of the Cop whodunit or ER/CSI genre.  Lots of people had been talking about Lost.  We poo-pahhed them.  Lots of them said they loved the early Lost but the series became too strange or too complex.  So with the new season about to start, we decided to start watching them all back-to-back.  I gotta tell you, back-to-back, it all makes sense.  I GET IT that it's easy to get lost and confused if you're watching it every week.  But all back-to-back and it's really fantastic.  We're very much into it.

And what started it all for us for seeing these multi-season programs---BattleStar Galactica.  We had watched it live from the beginning.  It, too, gets pretty darned confusing.  We ended up re-watching every episode back-to-back and it was better.  Truly interesting plots with good acting.  And Tricia Helfer doesn't hurt, either.

We like Chuck, but it's pure escapism.  Same with My Name's Earl.  Not high-brow, but fun to fill in 30 minutes during dinner.  We've been watching Fringe, but frankly don't like any of the main characters.  Which isn't a very good thing.  We care more about the crazy father than the FBI agent.

I think we are watching more network TV now than ever before.  Based on the dreck they've been turning out lately and the move to the cheaper and stupider reality shows, this is quite a surprise to me.  But a good surprise.

Back