• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Liquid absorbed by hop pellets

GigaFemto

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but it would be nice if BeerSmith could account for the liquid absorbed by hop pellets.There could be a "base" trub amount plus an additional number of gallons per oz of hop pellets to give the total trub. The amount is inconsequential for many recipes, but for IPAs, especially those with large amounts of whirlpool hops, it can add up.

--GF

That's one of those things that would need to be user adjustable, like grain absorption. Losses vary depending on technique. Just tossing the hops in the kettle or fermenter vs. using some sort of containment, and whether you leave the containment in when transferring to allow most of the liquid to drain. I'm sure there are some other things that would make differences as well.

In the past, when I just tossed hops into the kettle, I had 2 equipment profiles that include extra volume for losses due to hops, using .15qt./oz. for volume loss. One is for 2 to 5 ounces, and the other for more than 5 ounces. Now I bag all of the kettle hops and leave the bags in to drain as I transfer to the fermenter, so the loss is negligible.

And again, this is something that should be under the equipment profile as it is process dependent.

Back