• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Volume Issue

Derek

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am using a 32 litre stainless steel brewpot (34cm wide, by 34cm tall) and a grain basket that is 30x24cm and holds about 8 kilos of grain.  I usually use around 4 kilos of grain, which takes up half of the basket and about two thirds of the pot height.  I mash and sparge in the pot. 
I followed the video on here as best I could to create my own equipment profile.
Beersmith tells me to mash with 9.65 litres, and sparge with 25.89, but 9.65 wouldn't cover the grains.  I mashed with 18.2 litres yesterday and it was right on the liner of the grains.  I sparged with 13.6 litres (so 7 gallons all in) and ended up with 19 litres when I was done.
Can anyone help with why BS says to use less water than it takes to reach the top of my grains?  Its saying use half as much as I actually need.

I can take a guess that you did not account for the deadspace under and around the basket, or you can post the recipe you are using as your example as a .bsmx file and we can give you better advice.

Back