• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HLT DEADSPACE QUESTION

josebatt

New Forum Member
Reaction score
First of all I apologize for my bad English, I am from Argentina.  I open this thread to ask you the following question about adding salts in sparging: My HLT has a dead space of 4 non-recoverable liters and I would like to know how I should configure Beersmith to consider those four liters when software indicates  the amounts of salts  to add in the Sparge.  Otherwise the concentration of salts would be different (lower PPM) since there are four liters that are not taken in consideration.

Thanks you so much.

Unfortunately, the water tab does not take into account the amount of water you prepare (and enter as an ingredient) but instead defaults to just the amount of water needed for the recipe.  The work around for this is to go to the volume tab and add 4 liters to your mash tun dead space value.  Now go back to the water tab, adjust the water ingredient to reflect  the new value, adjust this new volume for the water salts needed, then go back to the water volume tab and remove the additional 4 liters of dead space you added.  After that, you can adjust the water in the recipe to reflect the lesser value (what you actually need) but the salts will be added based upon the extra 4 liters of water in your HLT.

It is an issue in the water tab which should be addressed for those who make up a volume of water which more than covers their actual needs.

Back