• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Size Auto Updates in BS 3.0.8

moecango

Apprentice
Reaction score
Question regarding the configurable 'Batch Size' parameter and adding fermentable juices. When I add a fermentable juice to a recipe, say .5 gallons  of Vitner's Mango Pure, the configurable 'Batch Size' parameter is not automatically updated and subsequently does not change but the Estimated Original Gravity does. Is the application designed for the user to manually change the 'Batch Size' parameter manually based on liquid fermentable additions (such as juices) to the recipe? When adding juices to a recipe to manage flavor profiles, I notice that the Estimated Original Gravity changes but the Batch Size remains static.

Batch size is completely a user forced value.  You set the batch size in your equipment profile and the program uses that figure as the starting value (along with declared process losses) to calculate all other volumes in the system. 

Thank you for responding. Here are some additional inputs. I did setup an equipment profile with a specific batch size. However, if i understand your response correctly, what i should do is incorporate the volume of juice that i intend to use into the equipment profile and Beersmith will take care of the rest in terms of calculating other volumes. Am I understanding this correctly or an I way off base?

You can enter it directly into the equipment profile as 'top off water in the post-boil section of the profile or, if this is not a typical or a one-off, you can add it the volume to the 'top off water' into the fermenter on the 'vols' tab of the recipe.  If the volume being added is reasonably sized (>10% of total volume) then you will also need to adjust your BHE to reflect the lower extraction expected from the mash.  Removing that amount of water from the mash will reduce the extraction somewhat.  If you reduce it proportionally to the volume reduction, then you should be close enough as a starting point.  Once you get a brew down, you can fine tune the BHE to reflect your actual values.

Ok, now I'm onboard. Thanks very much for the detailed response.  Makes perfect sense now.

Back