• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bearing weight of plastic partitions in standard larder fridges

mikenotts

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I bought a second hand tall bog-standard larder fridge 2 years ago online, modified to act as a beer cooler or heater upper (A bulb at the bottom and an ITC-100F controller).  The guy lived locally and delivered it.  Its been in my garage ever since, unused.

I've just taken delivery of a BrewZilla 3.1 and intend to start serious AG brewing (I'm retired, in a vulnerable 'rona category and going nuts after months of lockdown, so I thought, if not now, when?)

Anyhoo, my questions is, to any one kind enough to answer: will the standard plastic inserts in a standard larder fridge bear the weight of 23 litres of wort in a plastic fermenter?  The bottom of the fridge has an indented shelf, so no go there.  Have I been sold a pup?  Those plastic shelves rest on a few ML of plastic, it doesn't feel safe.  he still advertises them and claims they will support 25 litres.

So I guess the question is: whatever 23 litres of wort weighs, would you put that weight into your kitchen fridge, on a plastic shelf for weeks? (apart from the bulb and controller, its a bog-standard fridge.

Any replies gratefully received (I am minded to get the council to take it away for ?20)

Cheers.

I often sit 2 fermenters with 5 1/2 gallons each on the glass shelf above the vegetable bins in a 14 cf fridge. I used an old plastic jar and a piece of plastic as a shim to prop the center of the shelf in front where it has no support. Thought I had a pic to attach, but couldn't find it.
You could always cut a couple pieces of 1X6 or 1x8 to length and put them on top if the shelf. The rear and sides are plenty strong.

Thanks for the reply -  I actually messaged the guy who sold me the fridge and he just sent me an excellent reply, along the same lines as yours, which makes me feel very sheepish.  He's a good guy and I feel.... you know.  So much so that i tried to delete my first message - but I cannot, i need a mod to ok it?  Can I please delete this message?

Back