• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash, Temps, and BeerTools, oh my!

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused.  Nothing new!
I am trying make sense of BeerSmith and BeerTools.
My problem in my last batch was that after adding Mash Out water, I never achieved the 168* that I was trying to get.  I only got 162* or something like that.
So, I'm guessing that I need to add more hot water to achieve that.
For example ...
My BeerSmith Profile for my next batch (5 gals, 9 lbs grain) shows the Mash In volume and temp at 11.97qt @ 177.3* for step temp of 152* for 60 minutes.
My Mash Out volume and temp is 5.40qt @209.8* for step temp of 168* for 10 minutes.
So, if I don't get to the 168* in the Mash Out, what do I do?
Do I quickly go to BeerTools and use the Adjust Mash tool?
So, I go there and plug in the numbers for current mash conditions ...
11.97qt of water, 9 lbs of grain, current mash temp of 152* and mash tun weight of 9 lbs.
Question ...
Now, is the 'current mash temp' of the Adjust Mash Temp Tool that I need to enter, the temp before or after adding the Mash Out water?
It was 152* before Mash Out, but might be 164* or something like that (not the 168* I want) after adding Mash Out water.
So, do I put 152* or 164* in the tool?

And of course, my desired Mash conditions  in the Tool are 168*.
So, is the amount of water to add at the bottom of the tool, the amount of water to add after adding my Mash Out water volume?  It shows a volume like 3.77 qt or something like that.
So, do I add an additional 3.77 qt water @ 212* to the water that I already added at Mash Out and never got to 168*? 
This will supposedly give me the 168* that I am trying to reach?
And, if I add that water, do I subtract that amount from the Sparge water?

Sorry if this is so confusing.  I'm not very good at describing!
I am playing with my equipment settings and will eventually get it dialed in.
Thanks for any help passed my way!  :)

Now, is the 'current mash temp' of the Adjust Mash Temp Tool that I need to enter, the temp before or after adding the Mash Out water?
It was 152* before Mash Out, but might be 164* or something like that (not the 168* I want) after adding Mash Out water.
So, do I put 152* or 164* in the tool?
164 because you added your water for Mash out and did not achieve your desired temp. Ideally you would correct this before you add the mash out. Take a temp reading and plug the numbers in to verify your temps prior to the mash out
So, is the amount of water to add at the bottom of the tool, the amount of water to add after adding my Mash Out water volume?  It shows a volume like 3.77 qt or something like that.
So, do I add an additional 3.77 qt water @ 212* to the water that I already added at Mash Out and never got to 168*? 
This will supposedly give me the 168* that I am trying to reach?
Yes it should bring the temp up to the desired temps.
And, if I add that water, do I subtract that amount from the Sparge water?
Yes, because if you don't you will have extra water to boil off, which add's extra time to the brew-day.

Cheers
Preston

OK, thanks Preston ...
I never thought about doing the math before doing the Mash Out.
First time for everything ...

Maybe there is a way to do this ...
It would be nice if the individual Tools (say the Adjust Mash Temp) would open in a small separate window.
That way you could have it on top, drag it around and get all the numbers from your recipe (assuming you are looking at it on the computer and not a printout).
I was playing last night trying different temps to see what the effect was.
I had not printed off my recipe, so I had to keep going back and forth to get all my numbers.
Maybe this can be done, or there is an easier way;  If so, someone tell me.
If not, maybe this could be put on Brad's wish list!

You can open a recipe in a new window (Right click on the recipe and select new window) which is useful for comparing recipes.

A future version of BeerSmith will have the equivalent of tabbed browsing where you can open just about anything in a separate tab or separate window.

Cheers,
Brad

Back