• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hop bursting

Nicasio Tom

Brewer
Reaction score
Hop bursting a la Mike Karnowski worked well for me. Most everyone says chill ASAP, yet adding hops at flameout and waiting 45 minutes seems to run counter to this advice. What are the dangers of waiting this long to chill?

It used to be (i.e. Once upon a time...) that home brewers were told that we needed to chill down the wort very quickly to avoid DMS creation and/or hot side aeration.  While these issues are (arguably) real, the extent and effect they have on the beer has always been kind of elusive to quantify.  The other reason was to create a strong cold break which would lead to clear beer in the end by dropping out proteins which may lead to haze in the final product.

I think that the Aussies have demonstrated through no-chill brewing that the ideas of DMS development are not a significant issue which will cause off-flavors in beers brewed using this method.  Likewise, the use of clarification aids and cold crashing can significantly minimize the chances of chill haze development.  The effects of hot side aeration is a bit harder to pin down, but just like haze in beer there are methods you can use to avoid or minimize any issues with potential hot side aeration from slow chilling of the wort or whirlpooling.

One of the coolest things about having so many people home brewing is that they each have their own process and a good number of them are willing to challenge a lot of 'rules' such as quick chilling the wort in order to get a desired effect (intense hop aroma/flavor).  The results speak for themselves.  It has become a very popular method of adding desired attributes and, not to say that there are no downsides, there appears to be few negative results to whirlpooling. 

Thanks, oginme. Nice to know that I can be less anxious about rapid chill while using such techniques as hop bursting. Experimentation is part of the fun, isn?t it?
Best, Tom

Back