• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash in and Mash out temperatures

x3la

Brewer
Reaction score
I now ignore Beersmith for my strike temperatures as I've got used to my equipment.

I know that I need to add 80C water for mash in and that my mash out even at boiling rarely hits the step temperature and therefore I usually just start sparging immediately as eventually it will bring the mash to step temp.

What am I missing in Beersmith? My mash tun volume, weight and specific heat are all set in my equipment profile. "Adjust Temp for Equip" in the Mash tab doesn't bring the temps up to what I know is required..

x3la said:
"Adjust Temp for Equip" in the Mash tab doesn't bring the temps up to what I know is required..

In the mash tab the equipment and grain temperature need to be accurate to their respective ambient temperatures. The default is 72F. You might need to click to the design tab, then back to mash to see a new strike temperature.

Under "Options > Advanced" you can adjust the absorption, malt specific heat as well as the amount of space the grain takes up (as l/kg). All of these are related to your crush but the defaults are pretty close and should only need a little adjustment.

Back