• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lagering process

michaelderrick

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions re lagering
I currently have a 21lt lager in FV at 12degC. OG was 1.046 and am aiming for 1.010.
I pitched at 13.5degC with two 11g pkts W-34/70 dry on top then stirred in.
After 5 days it is only at 1.038. Is this lack of progress a concern or should I just relax and wait it out?

Second question is re eventual bottling (no access to kegging yet). I will bulk prime. Should I add any yeast starter to the ~160g dextrose mix prior to bottling?

If you didn't oxygenate, you can experience longer lag time. Are you seeing krausen on the beer? If so, let it sit until it falls and check again.

I am guessing a slow lag time because you just sprinkled the yeast on top and with a lager at cool temps, yeast starts slower than ales.  I usually use liquid yeast and make starters, but when I use dry yeast, I will re-hydrate the yeast first.

Just checked, last lager I did with dry yeast, was a Festbier I made in July that is lagering right now.  I did two packs of 34/70 re-hydrated, no oxygenation besides shaking the carboy.  I had a two inch thick krausen within 12 hours at 52F.   

No need to dehydrate dry yeast just make sure you are using enough. Longer lag times are normal for lagers so just sit back and let it do it's thing.

It's definitely lag time from just sprinkling dry yeast on top.  Brew a lot of lagers usually with liquid yeast and a yeast starter and have activity within 12 hours, but recently did one with dry yeast, which I rehydrated and it was 24 hours before seeing activity. 

Back