• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Feature request: Cereal Mash and Boiloff Volumes

J

jds

Brad:

First off, let me say thanks.  Beersmith has been a great tool for me.  That said, there are two feature additions that I think would be very helpful:

First off, Cereal Mash calculations.  Basically, I'd like to see an improvement to the mash schedules to allow me to specify addition of X1 pounds of grain and Y1 quarts of water at temperature T1 to X2 pounds of grain and Y2 quarts of water at temperature T2.  Yes, I know it's a simple ratio to calculate the final temperature, but there's currently no good way to do this in the mash schedules.  This would simplify the calculations for cereal mashing.  For those who don't know this process, it's the addition of a cooked starchy adjunct (like corn, or offbeat grains like Amaranth) and water to a mash of barley plus other grains and adjuncts.  It's common in cream ales or classic American lagers.

Secondly, it would be great to be able to specify boil-off volume as a fixed volume per time, instead of a percent per time.  My rig boils off about the same quantity of wort in a given time regardless of whether I'm making a 5.5 gallon or 11 gallon or whatever volume batch.  The current method (percent per hour) requires me to recalculate the proper boil off ratio for any change in batch size.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

OK,
  Thanks - I will keep both in mind as I'm working on the new version!

Brad

Back