Author Topic: Briess sample  (Read 1430 times)

Offline bamajim

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Briess sample
« on: September 25, 2020, 07:15:40 AM »
With my last grain bill I was given a 4 oz. sample of Briess 'Synergy Select Pilsen MaltGems'. I am considering adding this in my recipe. Does anyone know how to add to my recipe in BeerSmith software?

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: Briess sample
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 07:37:20 AM »
First, get the specifications for the malt you want to add.  You can find a fact sheet on the MaltGems product you cited here: https://maltgems.brewingwithbriess.com/documents/2020_SynergySelectMaltGems_SS_5-21-20.pdf

Now in BeerSmith, open up your fermentables ingredients listings.  Click on 'Add new...' on the tool bar to open up a blank fermentables listing.  Fill out the information you can from the sheet.  Don't sweat the small details as the only real information you will need is potential or yield, % moisture, name and (if you plan on using it with a lot of adjuncts) diastatic power.  If a malt does not list a diastatic power, it is usually because it no longer contains active enzymes.

Close it and add it to your recipe. 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline bamajim

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
Thank you Oginime! Was able to create a new fermentable with this data. The only parameter I didn't find was potential/yield unless its called something else. Again, Thanks

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »
Yield is also called extract. 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!