• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wort in hard piping to boil kettle

Hilltopbrewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 gal, 2 pump system that I have hard piped. One pump moves the water from my HLT to the mash tun. The other pump recirculates through the RIMS during mash, it also serves to transfer the wort from mash out to the boil kettle, it also does the whirl pool, and finally moves from the boil kettle through the chiller to the fermenter.

The uncertainty that I have is the wort that was transferred at mash out and sparging is sitting the the piping circuit that is not actually getting boiled, however it will be moved into the boil kettle during the whirl pool. Does anyone have a similar set up and should it be a concern? I would think that the whirl pool would sterilize the remaining wort, but not sure about any other chemical reactions that the boil would do during a normal 60 - 90 min boil.

I have a similar situation with my Anvil Foundry.  I recirculate during the mash and then some wort stays in the tubing during the boil.  For me, this is a very small percentage of my wort.

Since I recirculate during the mash out, the wort hits a temperature of over 160F for more than 15 seconds.  This temperature/time will Pasteurize the wort so that sitting in the line is not an issue in terms of any potential contamination. 

Thanks for your reply.  I built my system a few years ago and work got in the way of brewing. Just getting back in to it now and just giving everything a once over before brewing.

Back