• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

White Film on Top of Fermenter

Easada

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

While doing my first and second attempt of a Belgian Witbier I noticed I had a white thin film all over my beer in the primary fermenter (2 weeks into fermentation).

I went ahead and bottled the beer anyway hoping it was maybe a result of the lallemand Belgian Abayye Yeast (which I had never used before) . Lng story short my beer smells awful and does not taste any better(not at all like coriander seed and orange peel) .

Is the white film signs of contamination? I used starsan in everything to sanitize so is it maybe oxidation?

FIORETTA: It appears as a white patina present on the surface of the must, it is milky, consistent but not too much, with always whitish bubbles here and there. Also called Candida mycoderma.
It happened to me that to eliminate it I had to sanitize everything with bleach, in doses of 400ml per 100 liters ..

Back