• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fat tire clone?

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone have any guidance.  I want to build a backlog of recipes.  Seeing them wants to make me make it happen.

I brewed this a year ago, and it was very good. I used the Fat tire yeast, I don't think it is available now. I washed it twice and put it in the yeast bank for future use.

Cheers
Preston

Preston, That is awesome.  Is there a way to unlock it so I can tweak it to my equipment?

I am also overshooting stuff a little until I know my efficiency.  I am pretty sure I got good efficiency with my first batch as the texture, look, smell, etc. was right, but I forgot to get an OG.  I do know that my 2nd runnings are 1.028 to 1.030 so I imagine my first are high 5s or low sixes  ;D Which is what I wanted in a strong APA.

Will using 60% efficiency mess up the balance of flavor in my brew?

Do you have a guess as what yeast could be subbed? 

I just started building my yeast bank and it is not very extensive.  So Far 1882 brewery has:
WY1214 Belgian Abbey
WY2006 Bavarian Lager

I'd like to get some pacman, fat tire, maybe some denny's fav. 

I hear veteran studs culturing from bottles on stir plates.  I am more worried about getting good at making AG beer.  Then I'll fine tune yeast ranching. 

Thank you again, I wish you weren't so far away, I'd trade you some yeast for some HBs.

Will using 60% efficiency mess up the balance of flavor in my brew?
100% conversion would be the perfect brewing efficiency. "Technically speaking" if you don't get 100% conversion. Then yes you did not get all of the flavors out of the grains. That does not mean that your beer will be bad or not as flavorful, it just means you did not get the full benefit from the grains. We live in the real world, and knowing that even the BMC's don't get full conversion with their high tech gadgetry and monitoring means that I can live with low tech 70+ efficiency  ;D.
Do you have a guess as what yeast could be subbed? 
I just started building my yeast bank and it is not very extensive.  So Far 1882 brewery has: WY1214 Belgian Abbey, WY2006 Bavarian Lager
I'd like to get some pacman, fat tire, maybe some denny's fav.
I would go with the WY1214 Belgian Ale or Wyeast Belgian Abbey II (1762) both would be great choices.
I hear veteran studs culturing from bottles on stir plates.  I am more worried about getting good at making AG beer.  Then I'll fine tune yeast ranching. 
If you can make a starter, you can culture yeast from a bottle... Its not that hard. Here is what I do: Make a starter, open 3 bottles of bottle conditioned beer (like Rogue), Spray the tops of the bottles with StarSan, Pour them into glasses leaving about 1" left in the bottle, Spray the tops of the bottles with StarSan again, swirl the bottles to loosen the yeast in the bottle, and pour them into the starter. DONE! I tried to make a stirplate (Epic Fail)... Once it has finished out you pitch that (Rogue) into a nice APA or IPA and you are done.
Thank you again, I wish you weren't so far away, I'd trade you some yeast for some HBs.
Do I hear "Road Trip" Woohooo!  8)

Cheers
Preston

Preston, Thank you for the tips!  Yea, I never thought about just using more than one bottle's yeast.  Then I'm stuck with 3 glasses of beer though...I wonder what I'd do with them ;)

I'm probably extremely doubtful for making it to TX anytime soon and it is icky up here.  snow, then a melt, then a couple inches of rain-repeat.  It is like a cold version of London right now.

Perhaps when my HB cellar stock grows and packaging and funds permit, I could sent you some "yeast samples"  ;D

It might not be a far stretch to use that 1214 since they claim the idea for the brew came from their belgian bikeride.  Worst case is something unique.

I can maybe get my hands on a slide of Fat Tire yeast if'n you're sufficiently motivated.

Brestski that would be cool.  What is your 20?  I'll forewarn you that I'm really cheap right now.  So I may need a raincheck until funds free up.  :-[

Fort Collins, CO.  Home of Odell Brewing Co., Fort Collins Brewing Co., and New Belgium, amongst others... :)

Here is an extract based version from BYO magazine --- have just brewed this so no info on the final result

Attachments

• BYO Fat Tire Clone.bsm
    14 KB · Views: 721
Midwest brewing has a kit called Flat Tire.  Did not compare side by side, but sure tasted like the original !

I haven't had a Fat Tire since I lived in Boulder Colorado.  I guess their distribution doesn't reach Maine.
Brings back memories of a particular bar with Wednesday drink specials, drunk college girls, live band, drunk college girls, cheap food, drunk college girls...

Sounds like a great memory! Beer/Music/Food, and can't forget the Drunk College Girls...

My future so bright, I gota wear shades 8)

Cheers
Preston

I just made an extract clone of fat tire called Flat Tire that was put together by Midwest Brewing in Minneapolis.  It turned out great!  It is still available.  Maybe find their website and read the kit ingredients?

Norbertbrew

Hi all

I did a google search for Fat Tire clones and I ended up back here.  Go figure, eh?

I am putting this on my radar screen and may actually pick up Northern Breweries Phat Tire all grain version.

Has anybody brewed this since last spring?

I made it about 4 months ago. I don't think the yeast is available any longer. However I have a few slants (Second gen) of Fat Tire Ale Yeast - Wyeast VSS that I proofed and divided before making it... No idea how I would get it to you tho... I know it would have something to do with dry ice to keep it cold.

Cheers
Preston

UselessBrewing said:
I made it about 4 months ago. I don't think the yeast is available any longer. However I have a few slants (Second gen) of Fat Tire Ale Yeast - Wyeast VSS that I proofed and divided before making it... No idea how I would get it to you tho... I know it would have something to do with dry ice to keep it cold.

Cheers
Preston

TY for thinking of me anyway.  Is it you that lives in North Dakota?

Anyway, I do believe some people have been using a Belgian strain to compensate.

I have seen lots of different answers for what kind of yeast to use as a substitute. Having had the original I don't know that I would use a Belgian, It seems more like a vanilla yeast. Very much like maybe a 1056, or even a Nottingham for that matter. I think the more important thing would be the grain selection. The latest version (III) is attached at the bottom of this post.

Cheers
Preston

Attachments

• Flat Tire.bsm
    14.7 KB · Views: 362
They had an article about this in BYO.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/recipeindex/article/recipes/92-belgian-and-french-ale/1183-new-belgiums-fat-tire-clone

Back