• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding water at end of boil

lemmeholdthat

Apprentice
Reaction score
What is the best way to account for the change(or lack there of) in gravity from adding a liquid source of fermentables late in the boil?  Beersmith treats the ingredient as solid sugar, an as such, will increase the original gravity instead of keeping it roughly the same.  My only solution is to delete the juice, check the OG, then re add it after but that is kind of clunky.

What are you using for the potential of the juice which you are adding?  Most juices where I am (US) give the amount of sugar contained in one serving (defined on the label).  You can use the grams of sugar per serving times 46 points divided by the weight of the serving to give you an approximate potential for the juice.  It has come out pretty close to me in the past.

I am actually adding sauergut to the boil in the last 10mins to adjust pH.  The sugar content is measured at usually 10Plato.  When adding liquid ingredients with sugar, it does not change any volumes, only extract potential.  The issue I believe is all sugar sources are viewed as dry ingredients and do not contain volume (or at least do not affect the volume).  I can increase the volume (or mass) of extract or juice and only have it impact extract potential, not volume.

Attachments

• Dark Mexican Lager.bsmx
    59.8 KB · Views: 108
You are correct that the software does not take into account the volume of additives when calculating volume.  I just use the volume added as top off volume to fermenter so that the calculations for volume balance to my correct volume into the fermenter.

Back