• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Charmat method in PET bottle?

luis.salas

Apprentice
Reaction score
This may sound crazy, but it's the result of being absolutly obsessed with the idea of brewing something similar to a Brut Bier (https://byo.com/article/deus-brut-des-flandres/). I can't do it on the Champenoise method, specially because I don't have nor the champagne bottles nor the corks nor the corker. So, I was thinking... If Charmat method is OK for sparkling wines, wouldn't it be also good for a Brut Bier? The problem is that, obviously, I don't have a big stainless steel vessel to do the secondary. That's why I was thinking in:

1) Doing the secondary in big 1lt beer bottles, just because they look heavier and thicker. The cons would be that racking that beer for the dosage/priming/third fermentation will certainly be a pain in the ass. So...
2) I realized that Charmat method produces less pressure than Champenoise, which champaigne bottles stand up to 90psi. PET bottles can take up to 150psi, so, theoretically, they would be just fine for doing the pressurized fermentation of Charmat method. Maybe would be a good idea not to fill the bottle to the very top and leave a space as if you were waiting for krausen to come.
3) Charmat method presserves better fruit flavor and aroma, and it's less yeasty than Champenoise, so, for hops, I would have to consider that.

After that, I guess, it would be OK to bottle on traditional beer bottles (45psi, apparently).

What do you think? I made my best to translate what have been breaking my head these last two days.

If someone sees something wrong, please tell me. In this case, more than the fear of bottle bombs (a PET bottle bomb doesn't sound SO terrible, eventhough I was planning to do this in a separated room, just in case) I'm afraid of having to clean up my precious beer from the floor if the bottle blows away.

Thank you for reading and comenting!

I would be more concerned about staling because PET bottles are notoriously oxygen permeable. Additionally, they are not generally UV protective in the wavelengths that effect beer, which is another assault on quality.  The plastic itself can degrade over time due to light and temperature and the length of ageing (3 to 12 months) would be another concern, to me.

Perhaps an investment into a few corny kegs is in order. That'll handle the pressure, keep the beer from oxygen and light, plus will let the yeast settle in the tank method.

brewfun said:
I would be more concerned about staling because PET bottles are notoriously oxygen permeable. Additionally, they are not generally UV protective in the wavelengths that effect beer, which is another assault on quality.  The plastic itself can degrade over time due to light and temperature and the length of ageing (3 to 12 months) would be another concern, to me.

Perhaps an investment into a few corny kegs is in order. That'll handle the pressure, keep the beer from oxygen and light, plus will let the yeast settle in the tank method.

Thanks! Great feedback. Kegs are in my horizon, but for now I have to keep it cheap. If I insist in PET bottles, I'll have to be careful about light and try to solve in some way the issue of oxygen. Maybe a long bottle conditioning instead of bulk aging?

Back