• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

WHO ELSE IS BREWIN UP A STORM DURING COVID?

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Can't drink fast enough.
So far 3 gal porter 7%
Then a 6gal imperial milk stout on that yeast cake 12.6%

Then a standard P6 gallon Pale Ale on that cake. (you gotta try that one, the flavor is out of this world with the remnants of the stout.

Next a 3 gal Bock 7.4%
Threw a 7 gallon dopple on that cake. 11.5%
Going to toss another dopple on that to make Eisbock Won't even know the % of this one

Then, I am gonna try a Maibock on that cake.
I need help drinking all this stuff, or COVID will be the least of my worries!
Anyone else making your homebrew supply shop happy? :eek:

Just getting ready to cold crash my 27th five gallon batch of the year, and will likely be brewing a couple more before the new year. Mostly APAs and IPAs with a Best Bitter, a Cranapple Cider and a Cream Ale thrown into the mix.

I thought I would have brewed more but actually my output has drastically declined compared to previous years. And now with winter fully set in my brew season is over.

At first, I didn't brew. I brewed an American Light Lager in February, 1st then not again until April 9th when I brewed my Phoebe Pry Rye IPA.  Phoebe Pry (an anagram I came up with camping many years ago) has a lot of Citra, Cascade, Amarillo and Mosaic hops.

Then again July 11th when I brewed another variation Phoebe Pry Rye IPA of with out of favor hops (Northern Brewer) and also 50% Maris Otter.

Nothing until September 27th when I brewed a lighter version of Phoebe Pry (Pale) using no crystal malt. This was for my Disc Golf weekly players group. This batch was crisp and lighter coming in at 5.4% ABV. Hops were Centennial and Meridian with just cascade as a dry hop. No crystal malts, just light pale, maris otter munich and rye.

A month later on October 22nd, I brewed Phoebe Pry IPA again.  This time for the local Disc Golf Club fall league. I poured from a keg out the back of my car before and after my round. I wanted this to be a more approachable beer so I backed the IBU down to 63 and simplified the hop bill to Centennial, Cascade and Mosaic charged late boil as well as dry hop.

Most recently, on November 27th, I brewed an Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. I'll be transfering this to a keg this week where I will add vanilla beans and bourbon.

Winter is for Lagerheads! Just transferring my 3rd in a series to secondary, a maibock.
Next session a triple of ales on 1056, starting with a ginger pale and ending with a barley wine. By the time I get to the barley wine, the yeast cake should be @ 4" thick on the bottom of my 6 gal. Should hold up to the high alcohol. This will be my 4 year doing this.

Just started a run of lagers last weekend with a Dunkel.  I will be brewing lagers until mid February since it is easier to run my fermentation refrigerator on the colder side while the basement is moderately cold.  I also repurpose my sauna into cold storage for lagering.

Started brewing in March, shortly after covid became a thing. Have done the following: 2 batches of pale ale, an American red IPA, a brown ale, a juicy IPA, a dark IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy, and I'll brew one more in 2020 along the lines of Stone Arrogant Bastard. All batches were 5 to 6.5 gallons, so I should hit about 45 gallons for 2020. I'll probably continue to brew about 1 batch per month, but I'm running out of places to put all the beer!

For next year I'm going to start trying to reuse the yeast for a second batch, add CO2 w/corny kegs, and buy in bulk and crush. I might also see if I can malt a bit of grain and plant some hops for the fun of it. What a great hobby!

KEVIN!
OVER?!? NOTHING IS OVER UNTIL WE SAY IT IS!!!! DID WE SAY IT WAS OVER WHEN THE... you know the rest

Back