• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batchsize significantly bigger than expected

SirBrualot

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i think i'm having problems with my settings.

Brewzilla 65
BH efficiency: 67%
Expected Batchsize: 39l
Batchsize was 48l

Beersmith told me to mash in with 39l and sparge with 27,68l

i have mash tun addition set to 10l
and tun deadspace also at 10l
og was off by 1 degree plato

where did i go wrong?

thx for your help!

Without seeing your profiles (equipment & mash), I would start with your mash tun dead space.  You are using an all-in-one system so technically, all the water from the mash, excluding the water retained in the grains will be in the boil.  This means that there is no mash tun dead space.  This would account for 10 liters which is pretty much your additional volume that you realized with your brew.

thank you for your answer.

so if i set deadspace to zero and also mashtun addition to zero beersmith tells me to mash in with 29 l (which is definetely not enough for 10 kg of malt) and to sparge with 27,68 wich  56,68 which leaves me with 66,9 liters in total. Makes sense.

SO the option Mashtun Edition means basically that i can adjust my mashin volume to my likings?

ok, i guess that solves my problem. thx a lot!

I would look at the volume the Brewzilla needs to get the water to the bottom of the mash basket.  This will be your mash tun addition.  You can adjust the water to grain ratio in your mash profile to get the desired volumes you want for both initial infusion and sparge.  You can guess at the volumes, but the best thing you can do long term is to measure it and plug it into your equipment profile.  The biggest thing you can do to get the software to perform for you is to get your equipment profile to accurately reflect your system.

Back