• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith3 on Big Sur

dunleav2

Apprentice
Reaction score
I purchased a new Beersmith3 license when I updated to Big Sur.
When I installed Beersmith 3, my Beersmith2 recipes where then opened in Beersmith2.
I assumed it saved those recipes in a new recipe file for Beersmith3 because the recipes are not the same between versions.
Everything was going great, until I restarted my Mac this morning.
When I open Beersmith 3 this morning, I'm missing the multiple recipes I added to Beersmith3. All I see are Brad's recipes.
If I open Beersmith2 those new recipes I added don't exist.
Really hoping I didn't just lose all those recipes and brew day logs.
Ay suggestions?

I received 'Exception - Unhandled exception in Beersmith...attempting to continue' from Beersmith 3. Basically I lost the recipe file in Beersmith 3. Frustrated in what I lost, even the backups were corrupt.

I was able to reimport by beersmith 2 recipe file then force a save and create a new backup. But I lost everything I had entered for 3 weeks in Beersmith3. Ugly user experience to say the least. Hopefully, moving forward the new recipe file and the backups won't be corrupted.

The error repeatedly pops up in the app.
'Exception - Unhandled exception in Beersmith...attempting to continue'

Beersmith 3 also seems to have a problem if the recipe file has multiple levels of folders and recipes embedded.
The folders do no collapse if clicked on.

If I close Beersmith 3 through the menu, I receive another error that states Beersmith3 quit unexpectently.

Not feeling warm and fuzzy about Beersmith 3 on Big Sur.

Can you still open the recipes in BS 2? And then do a backup? Then import the backup to BS 3? Just thinking off the top of my head...

I reimported my BS2 recipes into BS3. Forced a save and ran a backup. I then closed BS3 and my recipes are there. I lost all my changes that I originally did, but it is what it is.
I am concerned about the stability of BS3 with all these errors though.

I'm glad you got your recipes back... as for stability, *knock wood* BS 3 seems pretty solid to me.

On Windows 10, BS3 has been very stable and solid for me. One anomaly when I installed the latest beta a few weeks ago.  There was a change of my documents path to some annoying windows path that did cause me some issues with "another copy is running" error as well as lost recipe data.  I pointed BS3 back to my normal BS3 path and al was fine.

Not sure if MacOS can have the same issue with docs path, but make sure you have full permissions / ownership of the recipe / doc path.  I don't have a MacOS setup right now to test.

beerprof said:
I'm glad you got your recipes back... as for stability, *knock wood* BS 3 seems pretty solid to me.

I would have preferred to stay on BS2 because it was so solid, but it didn't work on Big Sur so I forced to go to BS3.
Can I send a dump in when I get these errors so it can be debugged?

Back