• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Installing Beersmith 3 on Fedora 33 & Dark mode fix

mmmmmmbeer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to share the installation method that I've been using for a while (since Fedora 30). I've seen a few others, but I've found this one is quick, easy, and works just as expected.

1. If they are not installed already, get alien, rpmrebuild, and any needed dependencies. They're in the default system repo.

Code:
sudo dnf install alien rpmrebuild

2. Download the latest Beersmith3 deb

3. Convert the deb to an rpm using alien.

Code:
sudo alien -r beersmith.deb

4. If you were to attempt to install it now, you'd get a few messages about conflicting files and packages:

Code:
sudo rpm -ivh beersmith3-3.0.9-2.x86_64.rpm 
Verifying...                          ################################# [100%]
Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]
	file / from install of beersmith3-3.0.9-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.10-1.fc30.x86_64
	file /usr/bin from install of beersmith3-3.0.9-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.10-1.fc30.x86_64

Make note of those files.

5. Let's fix those conflicts. Run:

Code:
rpmrebuild -pe beersmith3-3.0.9-2.x86_64.rpm

When your default editor opens, jump to the %files section and remove the two lines referencing "/" and "/usr/bin". Save, and continue.

6. Install the rpm using either rpm or dnf (I used rpm in step 4 because of the speed/decreased verbosity, but either works). Make sure you are using the NEW rpm you just rebuilt - I always forget rpmrebuild does not overwrite the source rpm, but instead creates a new rpm in the ~/rpmbuild folder.

And that should do it! As long as you are running a light theme, you should be ok. I happen to use the Adwaita dark theme, and this causes some windows to be light and some to be dark. There's an easy fix - just declare an environment variable. If launching beersmith3 from the command line, it'd look something like this:

Code:
env GTK_THEME=Adwaita:light /usr/bin/beersmith3

You can also edit the beersmith3.desktop file, changing "Exec=/usr/bin/beersmith3" to "Exec=env GTK_THEME=Adwaita:light /usr/bin/beersmith3". You may need to refresh your icon cache.

I don't see why this wouldn't also work on recent versions of RHEL/CentOS, but I have not yet tested it.

Good luck! Brew beer, run Fedora!

Thank You!!  I've been trying to get Beersmith working on my fedora machine for days.  Cheers!!

Back