• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Thickness

Bairsbrewing

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey, its been a while since I brewed, but my last two batches, my water volumes were way off! Specifically my pre-boil volume. I know that when I used 2.0, it was always spot on. Now, I have to add more water to the sparge to get my pre-boil volume. I just did a water boil off for 1 hour and it was 1.5 gallons per hour. I did notice in my settings that it was set to 1 gal per hour. Will this fix my issue?

Second question, how can you adjust the mash thickness in 3.0? I know you could in 2.0, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the FAQ's, the help page, or the program. Any advice, before I start brewing today would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Adjusting your boil off rate may solve your issue, but I would keep measuring and adjusting the process losses on your next brew to make sure that was the only adjustment needed.

Your mash profile contains the mash steps and the targets for volumes/water-to-grain ratio/temperatures/etc.  This is adjusted the same way as in BS2.

Adding to what Oginme said, you need to set up an equipment profile that closely matches your system and dial it in using measurements from a few batches. BeerSmith relies heavily on your inputs in order to accurately calculate various values. The more accurate your inputs, the more accurate the values will be. This applies to BS 3, just as it did to BS 2. BS 3 is not an update to BS2, It is an separate program.

Go into Profiles/Equipment and make any needed adjustments to the profile you're using. Once you've done that, you'll need to reselect the profile in the recipe for it to take affect.

Back