• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What do you mean when it says "First runnings", "Second runnings", etc.

jipsikid

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, im new to the formun. Im wondering what you mean when you say "first runnings", "second runnings", etc. I have worse than descent english and i quite dont undersdand what it means and im having a hard time figuring it out. i have tried searching but i havent found anything about it, unless it means actually running  :( :-\ Tnank you in advance.

Jargon which is specific to a certain craft may not be immediately apparent to people who are not used to "talking the language."

The term "runnings" comes from the act of draining or 'running' the wort from the grain bed. 

'First runnings" is the wort which is drained from the main mash.  Generally, unless you are doing a full volume brew in a bag mash, you will have a volume of water for your strike water and mashing the grains.  It is typically higher in sugar content 

This then helps separate this wort from "second runnings' which come from the sparge water added to the grains to rinse off the residual sugars.  Most brewers who fly sparge watch the gravity and pH of the second runnings to avoid drawing unwanted flavors from the grains. 

I hope which helps. if not let me know what I can clarify!

Now everything makes sense! Thank you very much internet stranger!!!! :) :D ;D

Back