• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash In to Mash Out time

Depot Dude

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When going from the mash in to mash out step, is there a time factor involved when bringing temperature up to the mash out temp. Our system can take 20 minutes or more to reach the 168 mash out temp from the mash in temp of 152.Is this having any negative effect on the wort ???

If it takes you that long, you'd be better off not bothering with a mash out.  If you batch sparge or no sparge, getting the wort into the kettle and starting to heat for the boil will likely get you to mash out temperature just as fast. In most cases the mash out step has little or no affect on the final product at the homebrew level.

Thanks Bob, i guess i should have provided more info maybe. We use a HERMS System in a Semi commercial setup for a small saloon. Where a hot tank with coil in hot water controls temp of wort during mash. Batches vary from 20 to 60 Gallon. May not matter but FYI.

On my system, I incorporate the mashout step with vourloff. You can use conversion time, wort clarity, lauter efficiency and total attenuation as benchmarks for wort quality. You can try shortening the conversion rest by a few minutes and see if the difference is noticeable. Over time, I've shortened my conversion rest by 15 minutes. I've also gone with no mashout and the beer hits the same benchmarks, except lautering is a little slower.

Back