• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mint

Manolo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used mint as an additive in a beer ? How much should I use to give it some flavor ?

I was thinking to "dry hop" some leaves during the secondary fermentation. What do you think of that ? How would you disinfect the leaves ?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Manolo

Many, many years ago, I made a "Peppermint Patty" stout.  It was fabulous. I'll have to look through my notebooks to see if I can dig up the recipe.  Sounds funky, I know, but it was quite tasty.

Use mint like an aroma hop...throw some in at the very end of boiling (kettle off).  .5 oz will be *plenty* for a mint aroma in your beer...careful, it can be potentially overpowering.  I don't see why you couldn't use it like a dry hop, as long as the leaves were clean...washed with lots of cold, clean water.  Just make sure you want to drink 5 or more gallons of minty-fresh beer, or make a small batch.  I'd stick with a stout or porter recipe.

Back