Author Topic: Copper Brew Pot?  (Read 6955 times)

Enchanted Brew

Copper Brew Pot?
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
We currently use a stainless steel brew pot.  Palmer's book says aluminum is a better conductor of heat.  Can I assume that the wort will cool quicker in an aluminum pot?  Right now, we're brewing an India Pale Ale and wondering if a copper brew pot would be the ideal material?  A lot of the big kettles in the brew pubs we've visited are copper.  We work with copper sheet where I work.  Fabricating a copper brew pot would be no big deal for our shop.  Would it be worth it?

bretski

Re: Copper Brew Pot?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:56:54 PM »
If you have the skills, and access to the materials, then absolutely! !

Offline SleepySamSlim

• Barley Engineer
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »
I'm kind of mixed on this one --- copper is a great conductor but it also tarnishes over time - not sure how that affects your brew. Stainless steel is basically a safe - stable  metal - easy to clean and sanitize.

I don't care for aluminum pots pans etc.
Some people tell you the old walkin' blues ain't bad
Worst old feelin' that I've ever had ...
-Robert Johnson

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
I have a friend who bought a hand hammered copper kettle from an Amish sect. He loves it! It is not easy to keep clean tho. I know that some craft brewers that only use copper for their kettle, But they clean and polish on a daily basis. For me, If I could get my hands on one cheep, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!