• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Copper Brew Pot?

E

Enchanted Brew

We currently use a stainless steel brew pot.  Palmer's book says aluminum is a better conductor of heat.  Can I assume that the wort will cool quicker in an aluminum pot?  Right now, we're brewing an India Pale Ale and wondering if a copper brew pot would be the ideal material?  A lot of the big kettles in the brew pubs we've visited are copper.  We work with copper sheet where I work.  Fabricating a copper brew pot would be no big deal for our shop.  Would it be worth it?

If you have the skills, and access to the materials, then absolutely! !

I'm kind of mixed on this one --- copper is a great conductor but it also tarnishes over time - not sure how that affects your brew. Stainless steel is basically a safe - stable  metal - easy to clean and sanitize.

I don't care for aluminum pots pans etc.

I have a friend who bought a hand hammered copper kettle from an Amish sect. He loves it! It is not easy to keep clean tho. I know that some craft brewers that only use copper for their kettle, But they clean and polish on a daily basis. For me, If I could get my hands on one cheep, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Cheers
Preston

Back