• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water pH calculation

jmiliz

Apprentice
Reaction score
I use a BrewEasy system and when I do water adjustment and calculate pH to determine acid to add, does it matter that the grains are added to only a portion of the total water volume? I guess calculations are based on the total water volume since I use a BIAB mash profile. Is the pH affected by the water to grain ratio?

Mash pH is indeed affecdted by the water to grain ratio.  If I remember the Breweasy, you have part of the water in the vessel below where the grains are mashed and this water is also recirculated through the grain bed.  If this is the case, then you will want the water below the mash kettle to be treated as well, since that is being used in the mashing process.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the water recirculation.

Thanks. The bottom kettle is the boil kettle and the top is for the mash. I heat all the water in the bottom boil kettle to strike temp then pump a portion to the top for the mash. For the first 10-15min its recommended to let the grain bed settle so there is no recirculation during this time and the mash is not with the entire volume as in a BIAB. After 10-15 min then recirculation is started with the water in the boil kettle and is drains through the grain back into the boil kettle for recirc tot he top. I figure a lot of the conversion happens in the first 10-15 minutes so should I calculate acid based on the amount of water I plan on putting in the top mash tun or just use what beersmith calculates which is probably for the entire volume.

Back