• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

using hop screen

Nicasio Tom

Brewer
Reaction score
During the boil, hop matter seems to plug up my hop screen. Then adding hops for a hop-steep after knockout, I'm concerned that some of the hop oils (and hence, flavors) get trapped inside the screen. Would it be better to drop the steeping hops directly into the warm wort and deal with the extra sludge at the bottom?

I've found that hot break material makes the hop screen (filter) plug up a lot faster. Waiting until the foam receded before dropping the filter in really helps. Depending on the size of your filter, mesh size and the amount of hops used, it often helps to use additional containment for later additions. Bags work well for that. If I'm using more than 3 or 4 ounces of kettle hops, multiple bags are my go to instead of the filter.

Thanks Bob! I'll take your advice. Speaking of hot break, I'm still tweaking the size of the flame on the kettle to fine-tune the boil, as I understand that the speed, or activity, of the boil has an effect on the final result.

If you are not familiar with Dr. Charlie Bamforth you should make a point to do so. Here is a Beersmith podcast with Dr. Bamforth talking about boil vigor which I think you will find helpful.

https://youtu.be/YDBKUCkg8cM

Back