• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New PC. Backed up old PC. Did not backup BeerSmith.

fanofthe9

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a new PC.  I backed up my old PC, but I didn't go into BeerSmith and back it up (using the BeerSmith program).  I then performed a factory restore on old computer and gave it away. 

So...can I restore my recipes and equipment from the computer backup created using Macrium Reflect?

It depends on which version you had and which directories you backed up.  Version 2 stores data in Documents/BeerSmith2 by default.  Version 3.0 also stored data in Documents/BeerSmith3 but 3.1 and 3.2 store data under your AppData/Roaming directory which you may not have backed up.

Check those locations for the *.bsmx files which have the recipes and other data.

Brad

Macrium Reflect does allow you to browse and copy files form a backup image.  As Beersmith noted, locate your original data directory within the backup file and restore it to the appropriate path on the new computer.

If you can locate the BSMX files in the backup you should be able to recover from them:
You can learn more about how to open, copy and save BSMX data here:

https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/01/27/sharing-beer-brewing-data-using-bsmx-files-in-beersmith/

Brad

Brad,
Thanks so much.  I was able to use the Macrium Reflect backup image to restore the files in the AppData/Roaming directory.  Many thanks.  My recipes and equipment are restored and I can now plan for my first summer brew.

Glad you are up and running!

Cheers,
Brad

Back